Friday, January 24, 2014

Identity Crisis 1: Food Blogger - Refried Bean Quesadillas

My most recent endeavour has been to pull my finances back on track, with the help of Gail Vaz-Oxlade (http://mymoneymychoices.com/).  As such, I've had to take a hard look at where my money has been going, and did a thorough spending analysis.  I've been spending a ridiculous amount of money on take-out food, and I need to scale it back.  So, I'm trying to learn how to cook, with all the hits and misses.  Here's last night's attempt.

Refried Bean Quesadilla
  • Large soft tortilla shells
  • Cheese
  • Diced tomato
  • Diced green pepper
  • Taco seasoning
  • 1 can refried beans
First, check your freezer and be sorely tempted by the frozen pizzas you see.  Then remember you have to use up the tortillas sitting on the counter.  Look back in the freezer, feel a sudden flood of productivity and take some chicken breasts out for Crockpot Tacos the next day*. 

Step 1:  Get your tortillas ready on a cookie sheet.  I'm making two so I'll have enough for tomorrow's lunch**.  Spread a generous layer of refried beans on one side of each tortilla.

This is fine.  You have frozen pizzas if this doesn't turn out.

Step 2:  Furrow brow and feel doubt.  Make sure the can doesn't say "Purina" on it.

Step 3:  Feel sad that you've only found cheddar cheese and you don't have mozzarella***.  Pile on an embarrassing amount.

Enough to cause a traffic jam in uranus.

Step 4:  Throw out the green pepper, because you're only one person in an apartment, and it's gone bad anyway.

Step 5:  Sprinkle a small amount of taco seasoning over the cheese.

Step 6:  Marvel at the fact that your tomato hasn't gone bad.  Cut it up and throw it on there.  It'll look something like this:



Step 7:  Fold over the naked side of the tortilla to create half moons.  Pop into the oven at 350 degrees for approximately 8-10 minutes.

Step 8:  Look at the packet of taco seasoning, and notice that you - the wimp with the palate of an 80 year old Englishman - have purchased the packet marked "Hot & Spicy."

Now you have no idea what the traffic is going to be like in uranus tonight.
Step 9:  While waiting, make yourself one of these!  It's what's you've been looking forward to all day anyway:



Step 9a:  Ignore the fact that the spend analysis you've completed showed you had spent 10 times on booze what you do on books***, and drink it.  To make:
  • 1 part amaretto
  • 2-3 parts lemonade
Step 10: Take quesadillas out of the oven and let cool a little.  Remind yourself there is frozen pizza in the fridge, if you really need it.



Step 11:  Enjoy it, because it turned out pretty good.  The only small change I would make is to add a little more taco seasoning than I did.

You may have noticed that I've not put any measurements in the above.  This is for three reasons:

Reason 1:  We're all adults.  You know how much cheese and spice you can handle.
Reason 2:  This may come as a surprise: I'm not a food blogger.
Reason 3:  

Stay tuned over the next few weeks for "Identity Crisis 2: Makeup Blogger. Art Journal Blogger"

*Thinking about it now, I might make a really simple post on those, they're so easy and so tasty.
**Breakfast, let's face it. Don't judge me.
***Or monterey jack.  But you're single, so you never buy it anyway.
****What have I become, my sweetest friend?

2 comments:

  1. That actually sounds tasty. Sorry if I sound surprised. I shouldn't. I don't even know you but I feel like I do. Next time, you could try frying all the ingredients (minus or plus the cheese), toast the tortillas on the element and in a few minutes, you're done. Kind of like these fajita/tacos I made. Note that I am the worst cook in the entire world. http://www.journeysofthezoo.com/2013/11/old-el-paso-fajita-kit-review.html

    Thanks for linking up to my monthly "I Am Canadian" feature linky (http://www.journeysofthezoo.com/2014/02/cathy-thinking-out-loud-canadian-feature-html.html). I hope that you make some new friends.

    Besos, Sarah
    Blogger at Journeys of The Zoo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah! Your comment just made my day. Especially the portion about feeling like you know me, that's so warm. The "I am Canadian" has been fantastic, btw. :)

      Frying the ingredients first sounds amazing, and I definitely will be giving that a go next time.

      Just a quick heads up - I circled back to your blog, and I'm getting a 404 message right now. You've probably been blessed with too much traffic. ;)

      Delete