Sunday, January 20, 2013

Magnesium

Just yesterday, I was grouching and grumping to a friend about how awful things I've been feeling lately, and he told me that he has a friend who swears by magnesium, and then sent me this link:

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/evolutionary-psychiatry/201106/magnesium-and-the-brain-the-original-chill-pill

Now, I always tend to err on the skeptic side of things and I know that health claims are difficult to nail down, especially if it's a vitamin or natural remedy* (eff you, Dr. Oz - throwing your weight behind anything that comes along, sucking up every dime that isn't nailed down).  This attitude has - sadly - blocked me from trying any supplements that may have helped me, even in the short run as placebos.  Quite frankly, though, it's out of hand.  Vitamins and minerals are good for you, especially if your diet is leaving gaps in your nutrition (more than likely, in my case).  Plus, within the fourth paragraph down, I read this:

Magnesium is an old home remedy for all that ails you, including "anxiety, apathy, depression, headaches, insecurity, irritability, restlessness, talkativeness, and sulkiness." 

I had to re-read it.  I have all of those on a regular basis**, and you're telling me this might not be a horrible flaw in my personality, it might be a magnesium deficiency?

I chatted with my sister in law about it, and we got to talking about 'detox***' baths, which have epsom salts mixed with a number of other things (eucalyptus, ginger, mustard, tasty things).  She also mentioned that a number of the mom's that she knows (she's very active in mommy circles in her town) take Omega-3 pills to avoid postpartum depression and continue to take it thereafter. She offered me some Omega-3 pills to try, and I took a couple.  Well, wouldn't you know it, 20 minutes later, I had the worst sushi burps I've had in a long time!  And this was without the added bonus of actually enjoying sushi!

At any rate, I went to cost-co and bought some magnesium on the way home.  Reading up on it more now, it would seem that I grabbed the wrong one (it needs to be coupled with something else so my body can really absorb it), but I took some anyways.  I'm going to head out and grab the one I should be taking soon and we'll see what happens.


* eff you, Dr. Oz - throwing your weight behind anything that comes along, sucking up every dime that isn't nailed down.
**as an aside, the talkativeness has resulted in another issue that will be discussed in a slightly later blog post.
***the word 'detox' sets me off, too.

Here's some other crap about magnesium I've been reading:

http://george-eby-research.com/html/depression-anxiety.html
http://nutritionalmagnesium.org/health/frequently-asked-questions.html
http://www.peoplespharmacy.com/2008/03/30/how-much-magnes/

No comments:

Post a Comment