A schlemiel is defined as a 'habitual bungler; a dolt'. A schlimazel is defined as 'an extremely unlucky person; a habitual failure'. I've once heard it said "a schlemiel will spill a cup of hot coffee on someone, and the schlimazel is the person receiving the coffee in their lap."
I've continuously been a schlemiel or schlimazel the past seven days.
I'm really hoping that the bit of bad luck I've had was only for the last week or so. Because I really can't continue the way I have been. I say 'bad luck', but I admit that about half of it was boneheadedness on my part. The other fifty percent genuinely felt like bad luck.
Let's see, small examples in the last twenty four hours included:
- trying to build a simple wal-mart shelf from the dinky - image only - instructions that came with it. I split the wood in several places, and once yelled at my mother "I can do it myself! Either I'm building this shelf, or it's going up my ass!"
- getting the window jammed during the planning stage of installing my air conditioner. Phrase of the moment "you fucking fuck." Mom almost pees pants.
- going out with my mother to buy stuff, because "you have a shelf, now you should put things on it," and we see a silver "@" that's about 4" high that I don't mind looking at. My mother picks it up for purchase and I have a mini-freak out, right there in bouclair. "I don't know, I just don't think I need more STUFF, and it's not connected to any memory or anything for me, I'd just rather not get it, and I'm really tired, and just want to go *home." Mom drops the issue, having seen my last tantrum when I was about three, and having flashbacks. Later today, I contemplate driving out to bouclair to purchase said knick-knack, to commemorate that one time I almost pitched a fit in bouclair as a 31 year old grown ass woman.
- Friday was good. I had a nice conversation with Ted, watched several hours of Storage Wars and went to bed. Saturday morning was awful; I slept poorly, and felt bad pissing away so much time on Storage Wars.
- In terms of work, I can't go into a lot of detail, however, I could do absolutely nothing right this week. I often either genuinely screwed up (just minor things, didn't cost anyone money), or other people insisted I screwed up when everything was fine (one email simply read "why are you sending me this?")
- also at work, my good friend and neighbour was moved to another building, and that makes me sad.
- oh! And, remember that team-building exercise I had brought home (mentioned in a previous post)? Well, I came home after shopping today to find that it was sitting under an open window, GETTING RAINED ON. I hate that thing so much, but I didn't want to ruin other peoples' contributions to it.
- took the car in to finally get my all-seasons put back on and find that the funny sound my car's been making is still happening**. So, it has to go back into the shop sometime this week. Fantastic.
On the bright side, I've got a great support system in place. I love my family and friends.
*In my defense, we'd been out since 8:30, and had pawed through countless homesense/winners artwork, and dealt with that crap. I enjoy looking at it for a bit, but I can't do it for three hours in a row.
**the funny sound felt to me like one of the tires wasn't balanced (my brother had patched it), so I hadn't mentioned it to the mechanic because I thought it was irrelevant.