Sunday, April 14, 2013

The post I had planned to write yesterday

Yesterday, I wrote a small entry about a bit of asinine crap in my office.  There was something much bigger I had wanted to write about, but couldn't yet. Don't get me wrong, this office bullshit is an issue very near and dear to my heart, but this post is quite important to me.

I hate romantic comedies.  When I watch a romantic comedy, I throw popcorn at the screen, call the protagonist a slut, and generally get angry because it's usually some silly broad who doesn't see and appreciate whatever she has in front of her.  You know, the 'friendzone'. I imagine it would entertaining to watch, but I tend to partake in romantic comedies alone, because I turn into a teary mess during them.

Sometime ago, after yet another failed relationship (not his fault or mine, oddly enough, just crummy circumstances), I finished our final conversation, and was staring at my phone.  There was only one person in the world I wanted to talk to: Ted*.

"It's 10:30 pm on a Friday and you're lonely, Amy.  Go to bed." said the smart voice in my head.  So I did.

The next morning, Ted messaged me, and we ended up chatting all day.  I met him about 2 years ago, through a popular social network site.  We became friends who were clearly interested in being more.  Eventually, we started chatting about actually meeting in person.  Before we had set the plans in stone, I freaked out, cancelled everything, and stopped talking to him.  I'm not proud of this point in the story, it's just what happened.

Over time, we became friends again, flirting occasionally, never making plans to meet. He'd date some ladies, I'd date some fellas, we would talk about it.  Talk about what was working in our relationships, what wasn't.  Share news of victories at work and any big events in our lives. We'd maybe go a couple of weeks without talking, then have a 3 hour long texting session.  Good friends.

So, for the last few weeks, he and I were back in touch and simultaneously single for the first time in quite awhile.  I booked Friday, April 5, off of work, and used the time to drive to Ted's house.  Ted's house.  Where Ted lives.  Up north, a 7 hour drive away.

I'm absolutely smitten with this man.  We had just met, and it was like we hadn't missed moment.  There were some nerves meeting, of course, but they went away so quickly.  The feelings we have for each other are quite strong. We both laughed a lot, and it was an amazing weekend.  He'll be coming down here for a visit soon.



*Clearly not his name, sorry guys.  He'll most likely be mentioned fairly frequently in the blog, and I'm going to need a clever or smart way to refer to him without giving away names.  I haven't found the right reference term for him yet.  It's still early.  Suggestions are welcome.





No comments:

Post a Comment