Sunday, September 2, 2012

on the title of this blog

From Wikipedia:

Neurosis is a class of functional mental disorders involving distress but neither delusions nor hallucinations, whereby behavior is not outside socially acceptable norms.[1] It is also known as psychoneurosis or neurotic disorder, and thus those suffering from it are said to be neurotic. The term essentially describes an "invisible injury" and the resulting condition.

I never chose the word Neurosis by just plucking it out of the air.  I chose it for two reasons:

  1. I think it accurately describes the state I've been living in, especially lately; and, 
  2. It's kind of a bullshit term now.
I've had several theories floating in and out of my head about what might be wrong with me (these theories also include the answers "nothing, just suck it up, buttercup!" and "keep on keeping on!").  I don't want to jump to any conclusions at all about what's really going on, and apply a false label.  Given that neurosis isn't really in use anymore (clinically, anyway.  It's still found in slightly more casual use in academia), and that's it's a catchall term that includes personality disorder, I thought it was most appropriate.

No comments:

Post a Comment